Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rejection at it's finest

I prayed my rosary, I prayed my holy hour and I attended Mass...I was thinking I had more than enough grace to get me through the day....and I did...I was ready to take on the world...

My job allows me to experience many good and joyful things. It is always surprising, and always interesting. Yesterday I experienced another all too real side of my work - rejection. Complete and utter rejection multiple times. The hits just kept on coming! What started off as a very busy and full day almost ended without victory, or so it seemed. Obviously the Lord had something else to show me yesterday.
Every appointment, meeting and fun hang out session I had in my planner was canceled! I received text messages from girls saying they no longer could get together, so not too bruised yet I kept chugging along, making different plans with different people. Those plans got canceled too! Nothing could tempt these girls! No coffee, no $10 manicures - nada!
So I nursed my wounded ego with a good latte, said a prayer to the holy spirit and headed back to campus with renewed vigor. I must not have understood my purpose for the day because as I returned to campus I was promptly shut down again with unanswered phones and text message cancellations.

Bummer...
Let's just say by the end of the day, when even my bible study turned down my offer of ice cream I had had enough! The entire way home I yelled in the car, "what the heck! who are these people! Lord, what are you doing?! Today did NOT go the way I had planned!"

Then I realized how stupid I sounded, telling the Lord how I didn't get what I want and how things didn't go the way I had planned. It was so typical of me. I immediately shut up and thought long and hard about my day again, this time with the sense of wanting to see the Lord's goodness in all this rejection.
I was blessed to share in the rejection of our Lord. How many times does He have people say no, turn away and not think twice? Somewhere, someone was benefiting from my suffering and I learned a lesson in humility. I got to take up another piece of my cross and carry it with the Lord for the day.

Maybe the day wasn't so bad day after all...
And, lucky for me, I get to do it all over again today!

No comments:

Post a Comment