Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Here Comes Summer

These past few days I have been reflecting on my memories of summer break. The long awaited 3 months of pure bliss that couldn't arrive soon enough the last few days of school. 3 months of lazy days, enjoying the sunshine without a care in the world. No homework, no school, nothing to do but be free.




The last few weeks, while watching the students prepare for finals and move out of the dorms, I felt the looming excitement of summer. Now, the parking lots are deserted, the dorms are quiet and the senior class has graduated. I am finished with all my commitments and I'll be going home soon-but I don't feel the "free-ness" summer brings along with it.

I think I am experiencing a weird "rite of passage" in life that happens to everyone as they grow older. Summer is no longer a "break" from reality. "Real life" continues each day, even through the 3 blissful months of summer. My summer is pack full of things to do! It's on to more fundraising, summer training and continuing my formation. I can't help but think that now I know how my parents felt when we were done with school and they had to continue to go to work. I never understood!
This will be an interesting summer, and even with the work that will need to be done, there are many fun things tucked inside-like friend's weddings, an ordination and a trip to California, but long gone are the continuous lazy summer days!

No comments:

Post a Comment